Every day, I am driven to be a better physician in order to serve patients in need.
Dr. Brian Blackburn, D.O., is a spine and orthopedic surgeon with comprehensive knowledge of complex spinal disorders in both the acute and chronic setting. With fluencies in both English and Spanish, as well as advanced fellowship training in spine surgery through Johns Hopkins Hospital, Dr. Blackburn is dedicated to helping a wide range of patients reclaim their quality of life.
Throughout my life, I had a profound interest in biology and was always drawn to learning about human anatomy and physiology. My father is a physician and I used to sneak into his office to look at his medical journals with fascination. During my education, my passion for medicine continued to grow. Today, my biggest inspiration is people. They are the base of medicine and the reason behind everything we do as physicians. I have been trained to recognize what the problem is, create steps to solve it and give someone the quality of life they strive for. As a physician, there is no better satisfaction than having the capability to give someone the ability to live the life they desire.
Upon completing medical school at Michigan State University, Dr. Blackburn finished his internship in orthopedic surgery at Botsford General Hospital in Farmington Hills, Michigan. From there, he completed his orthopedic surgery residency at Michigan State University’s Beaumont Hospital and most recently finished a prestigious spine surgery fellowship through Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland.
Dr. Blackburn cites one of the cornerstones to his approach to medicine as a true focus on the patient. He strives to not just define the problem, but also understand how it is affecting the patient and their quality of life. With a commitment to thorough understanding of each patient’s concerns, Dr. Blackburn seeks to address both the primary problem as well as the patient’s overall well-being.
About Dr. Blackburn
- Graduated from medical school at Michigan State University in East Lansing, Michigan
- Completed internship through Botsford General Hospital and residency through Michigan State University’s Beaumont Hospital, both in Farmington Hills, Michigan
- Finished fellowship in spine surgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland
- Completed medical mission through DOCARE International to serve and treat the indigenous population of Guatemala
- Enjoys hiking, biking, skiing, backpacking, outdoor activities and traveling both locally and abroad to experience new cultures, languages and foods